The Actors’ Chapel
Visit this famous and historic haven of worship for the entertainment community.
The Actors' Chapel was added onto St. Malachy's in 1920, as the Theatre District moved in and suddenly, actors, dancers, musicians, craftsmen, and tourists were filling the seats, replacing the types of parishioners St. Malachy's had seen in previous years. A Broadway superstition even began there; on opening nights, actors would come to light a candle for their shows. Finally, in 1991, the Chapel's Father George Moore won a Tony Award for "Extraordinary Devotion to the Theatrical Community."